Me and Jacob

Me and Jacob

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Healing

      I've heard some people say that we should constantly pray for healing of children with disabilities. That it's because of Satan that we have children with disabilities, not because God created them. I have a few biblical issues with this. Mainly because of these verses.

The Lord said, "Who gave man his mouth? 
Who makes him deaf or mute? 
Who gives him sight or makes him blind? 
Is it not I, the LORD?
Exodus 4:11

For you created my inmost being; 
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:13 & 14


      What if "healing" looks different than what we hope for or imagine. What if the healing isn't the healing of autism, downs syndrome or cerebral palsy. What if the healing comes in the form of brokenness before God. What if healing is the healing of a broken marriage. What if healing is seen in the form of a community learning to truly love because of one child with a disability.
      I think that healing can come in many forms and our preference for healing isn't always the same as God's. I prayed for healing for Jacob. Was that prayer answered? Yes! But not in the way I wanted it to be answered. My healing came in the form of a strong marriage, a wounded heart that God is continually shaping, and a story to share with others. 
     I believe Job received healing. After he had lost everything, he still sought after God. What an amazing story of faith and healing.

"Naked I came from my mother's womb, 
and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; 
may the name of the LORD be praised."
In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.
Job 1:21 & 22

No comments:

Post a Comment