Me and Jacob

Me and Jacob

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Man Behind It All

       I realized yesterday that I hardly ever talk about the man behind the scene. I talk a lot about Jacob, some about Caleb, but rarely about Erick. The sad thing about it is that Erick is really where it all begins. Besides my faith in Christ, I have gained more strength from Erick than I have anyone else. He's constant, he's steady and most of all he perseveres.
       A lot of stories that I've heard of men when they find out that their kid has special needs is nothing like ours. Usually I hear that the men just can't handle the idea that their kid has special needs so they either deny the disorder or they run from the disorder. Erick has done neither. After the initial shock and sadness, Erick dug his heels in and fought for Jacob, and continues to fight for Jacob. He helps with medicine, diet and just taking on the day to day burdens. He even went as far as leaving his job (and his love, the lake) and moving away from the only place he's known as home to get Jacob in the best school system we knew of. But the biggest thing that he does is he encourages me. He encourages me in the littlest of ways and in ways that he probably doesn't even realize.
       Yesterday he text messaged me and started telling me that he got his yearly review and that it was good. It really didn't shock me at all because Erick is an excellent computer programmer and has excelled in every job he's had since we've been married. Nonetheless, it was a great review and it really made him happy at his job and his whole outlook about work was better. His next text message went something like this...

"Yeah, it makes me feel bad that you don't
get a review telling you all the good stuff you do,
cause I realize how it can change your whole outlook."

"I'm going to give you a review."

      Really??? How awesome is that?? I honestly felt like I had already gotten my "review" just by him saying that. It's awesome to me that he would even think about that. He's right though, it really is nice to know that you are doing a good job. Staying home with whiny kids that don't appreciate anything is definitely not the way to feel appreciated, but Erick realized that and met my need. One of the things that I like about Erick is that he's honest and he's not going to compliment someone if he doesn't really mean it, which makes his compliments that much more special. 


"In this same way, husbands ought to love 
their wives as their own bodies,
 he who loves his wife, loves himself."
Ephesians 5:28

     


No comments:

Post a Comment