Me and Jacob

Me and Jacob

Monday, July 23, 2012

The Little Things

We've just been back from the beach a few days and Jacob's already asked to go back. I am still amazed that just last year we had to force him onto the sand and watch as he struggled to feel comfortable. Having a child with special needs makes you appreciate the little things in life. With Caleb being a typically developing kid I'm aware of this even more. Caleb's accomplished tasks make me happy but Jacob's accomplished tasks move me, excite me and bring a tear to my eye. In some ways I feel like I've been blessed to be able to feel that proud of my kid!! I know that all parents are proud of their kids but having a special needs child and a typical child I can say with complete confidence that the proud feeling that I have for Jacob is stronger than that for Caleb. I guess it's because Caleb's accomplishments are just natural at this point and Jacob's had to work hard on overcoming his inhibitions. I know this may sound cold towards Caleb but I know that in a few years this will probably all change and I will be overly exuberant about Caleb's undertakings. For now I remain overly excited about the accomplishments of Jacob and that feeling will probably never change!

No comments:

Post a Comment