Me and Jacob

Me and Jacob

Friday, February 28, 2014

Things to Ponder

Two days after Near His Heart, and a long two months planning for it, I get a cold and Erick and Jacob end up with a nasty stomach bug. On top of that it's the week that I had set aside to study for my real estate exam. That was obviously pushed back a week due to all the sickness. In the midst of a very frustrating and tiring week I experienced two moments that I will cherish forever.

Most of you may know that kids with autism don't reciprocate love very often. We've been blessed that Jacob does this sometimes, but not all the time. Or, it may come in a different way that doesn't seem like love at all. When it comes to Caleb, Jacob doesn't share his love. Which, is typical of most brothers I assume. In fact, at supper when Jacob says his blessings he says...

"Dear Jesus, thank you for mommy, daddy and RJ and for our food, Amen!!" 

We have to continually remind him to add Caleb to his prayer and he does so, reluctantly.

This last Tuesday, after a long frustrating day, Jacob and Caleb were lying in their beds supposed to be going to sleep. I hear Caleb call out from his bed, "I love you Jacob" and a few moments later I heard something that was sweet music to my ears..."I love you too Caleb!" I do believe somewhere on this earth there were pigs flying. Erick and I made sure that we each heard what was going on upstairs.

After Jacob got the stomach bug and was on the couch all morning yesterday, I once again was greeted with another sweet moment. Caleb knew that Jacob wasn't feeling well so he got a few cars, went over to the couch and began to play with my sweet, lethargic Jacob. This wasn't very odd, considering that Caleb adores Jacob and likes to make him happy. Even so, it was a sweet sight.


They continued to play like this for a good 15 minutes and I enjoyed every minute of it. I went about my day trying to clean and straighten up and when I came back in, I found them like this...


I had to pinch myself to make sure that I was not dreaming...ok not really, but this moment IS rare. The fact that Caleb climbed up on the couch with Jacob is nothing to write home about. It's the fact that Jacob didn't push him off. Now, THAT, is nothing short of a miracle.

"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart"
Luke 2:19

I love when our own life moments make certain verses in the Bible come to life for us. When I was little and heard this verse I never understood the depth of it. Now that I'm a mom, I can understand the emotion that this one short little verse is talking about. Even through the chaos of life, we can find moments that make life sweet. Thank you Jesus for these moments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment